Back to Information
Freedom of Information Act (FOI): Model Publication Scheme
This document complies with the requirements of the Information Commissioner’s Model Publication Scheme for Lawrence and Harris Ltd in accordance with the Freedom of Information Act 2000 and fulfils the obligations on opticians’ practices under the Act.
This is a complete guide to the information routinely made available to the public by Lawrence and Harris Ltd. It is a description of the information about our NHS services that we make publicly available. It will be reviewed at regular intervals.
How is the information made available?
The information within each Class is available in hard copy from:Lawrence and Harris Ltd,
93 Cardiff Road,
or can be printed from www.lawrenceandharris.co.uk
This guide information
We will publish any changes we make to this guide or relevant information. We will also publish any proposed changes or additions to publications already available.
Cost of Information
For the most part, we will only charge for hard copies, or copies onto media. Charges are as follows and will be reviewed regularly.
- Accessed from our website (www.lawrenceandharris.co.uk)
- Single hard copies – free of charge
- As the Freedom of Information Act applies to the provision of information, a request for multiple hard copies does not fall within the provisions of the Act and will attract a charge for retrieval, photocopying and postage. We will inform you of the cost of these charges that will have to be paid in advance.
- E-mail will be free of charge (please use website contact form)
Your Rights to Information
- The Freedom of Information Act 2000 is designed to promote openness and accountability amongst all organisations that receive public money.
- Like all NHS contractors, since 1 January 2005 there has been a FOI obligation on optical practices to respond to requests about the NHS related information that they hold, and a right of access to that information has been established in law.
- These rights are subject to exemptions (see below) that have to be taken into consideration before releasing information.
- In addition to accessing the information identified in this guide, you are entitled to request information about our NHS services under the NHS Openness Code 1995.
- Under the Data Protection Act 1998, you are also entitled to access your clinical records or any other personal information held about you and you can contact any practice where your records are held to do this.
If you have any comments about the operation of the Publication Scheme, or how we have dealt with your request for information from the scheme, please write to:Avril Walker (Administrator)
Lawrence and Harris Ltd
93 Cardiff Road
Caerphilly CF83 1FQ
Classes of Information
All NHS information at Lawrence and Harris Ltd is held, retained and destroyed within NHS guidelines. Our commitment to publish information excludes any information that can be legitimately withheld under the exemptions set out in the NHS Openness Code or Freedom of Information Act 2000, the main reasons being the protection of commercial interests and personal information under the Data Protection Act 1998. This scheme has been written in accordance with those exemptions. The information on this Scheme is grouped into the following categories.
1) Who we are and what we do
We are Lawrence and Harris Ltd. Optometrists and Contact lens practitioners. Established in 1954.
- John H Harris
- Gareth J Harris
- Emma L Kinsey
Hillside, 93 Cardiff Road
Tel. 02920 882929Lawrence ad Harris Opticians
6 Bedwlwyn Road
Tel. 01443 812130
Details of all the Opticians and Optometrists employed in one of our practices can be obtained by contacting that practice directly.
Alternatively, details of all opticians and optometrists registered in the UK are available from the General Optical Council. Tel: 0207 580 3898.
Company Registration number: 05845976
2) Financial and funding information: what we spend and how we spend it
For every sight test performed on behalf of the NHS the practice receives a set fee, which is fixed nationally.
This practice also carries out the following enhanced services on behalf of the NHS:
- Domiciliary Visits.
The fees paid by the NHS for each service are available from the practice on request. They include a contribution towards optometrists’ and staff salaries, equipment costs and other practice overheads. Information in this class will be published only where it is unlikely to adversely affect the commercial position of the firm or practice
3) Our Priorities
To provide our patients with high quality eye care
4) Decision Making
Any decisions made about the provision of NHS-funded services will be reflected in the services we provide and in the contracts held with the PCT/LHB.
5) Our policies and procedures
- Complaints procedure (Available online)
- Data protection (Available on request)
- Health and safety (Available on request)
If you have a complaint about any of our products or services, please do discuss any problems with the manager at the practice concerned in the first instance. We find that most issues can be put right at this stage.
If the matter cannot be resolved in this way or you are unsatisfied with the response you receive please contact Avril Walker on 02920 882929 and she will be able to guide you through the process. A full copy of our complaints policy is available on request or online (follow the link).
6) Lists and Registers
We don’t keep lists and registers. Our patient records are confidential.
7) The Services We Offer
All Lawrence and Harris Ltd practices provide NHS-funded sight tests for those who are eligible. Patients may also be entitled to NHS vouchers that can be used against the purchase of spectacles or contact lenses as required. To find out if you are eligible for this assistance please find information on the NHS website or ask for details in any of our practices.
The practice also provides the following NHS-funded enhanced services:
- Domicilliary visits
Appointments for sight tests can be booked over the phone or by dropping into one of our practices. To find the address or phone number of your local practice, please see our find us page.
Opening times can vary between locations, so please call to confirm.
Regular publications and information for the public
Information about optical and ocular conditions, sight tests, spectacles, and contact lenses, can be found on www.lawrenceandharris.co.uk and a number of other websites including www.college-optometrists.org
Some of this information is also available in patient leaflets. These are freely available from all our practices. To request a set of leaflets by post, please write to:Avril Walker (Administrator)
Lawrence and Harris Ltd
93 Cardiff Road
Caerphilly CF83 1FQ
- Information Commissioner www.ico.gov.uk
- NHS Openness Code www.doh.gov.uk
- Freedom of Information Act 2000 http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/information-management/guidance/f.htm
Material available through this publication scheme is copyright unless otherwise indicated. Unless expressly indicated to the contrary, it may be reproduced free of charge in any format or medium, provided it is done so accurately in a manner that will not mislead. Where items are re-published or copied to others, you must identify the source and acknowledge copyright status. This permit does not extend to third party material, accessed through the scheme.
For HMSO Guidance notes on FOI publication schemes see http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/2000/36/contents.